Wednesday, October 22, 2008

TANNER AND SCENIC VIEW


I was going to try to post about Scenic View while I was in Utah, but Kellen's dad's computer is having problems so I could not.  I took Tanner to Scenic View on my 49th birthday, September 29.  It was an awesome day and Tanner and I had an awesome week together in Utah getting him settled in at Scenic View.  He has the biggest bedroom he has ever had, complete with full-sized bed (another first for him, he has always had a twin bed).  He also has a big desk, Lazy-Boy chair, nice-sized chest of drawers, nice-sized closet and his own bathroom. He has a fantastic view of the Wasatch mountain range from two of his windows and he has another window in his room.  I ate a few times with him there and they are great cooks!   Tanner has a full schedule Monday through Friday.  He has classes such as "Life design" "How Am I Smart?""Study Skills and Organization""Dating and Relationships"and a class that is taught by the executive director of Scenic View that covers the policies and procedures at the facility.  He meets once a week with a psychotherapist, twice a week with a life skills coach, and once a week with an education counselor.  Once a week there is a student body meeting for him to attend and every other week students and staff attend a mid week activity.  He is taking cooking, a Greek and Roman mythology class, and is he will be evaluated to see where he is with his math skills so he take math. He has personal training in a gym and (my personal favorite!!!) he is taking YOGA!  He likes it and he says it relaxes him.  Last but not least he works 10 hours a week, keeping grounds, cleaning the facility or working in the cafeteria.  He tells me that he likes Scenic View and the people who are working with him tell me that he is doing fine.  I am so excited for him!  About a year or so ago many people joined Kellen and I in a day of fasting and prayer for Tanner and I believe that Scenic View is the hand of the Lord reaching out to Tanner, and I am so grateful.  The first 90 days at Scenic View are an evaluation period, a probationary period.  I can only hope and pray that Tanner will continue to adjust to this new environment.  I cannot tell you how wonderful it is to have my son attending a school that was made for him, instead of beating my head against a wall trying to get a school to even recognize that he has special needs, let alone do something about it!  (My head is really loving the break!!)  Tanner will be home for Christmas.  I couldn't be happier.  

No comments: