Visiting Teaching: It's not a Job, It's an Adventure
Since moving from Arizona, I must say that visiting teaching has, well, shall we say, gotten a bit "spicier"? I have been blessed throughout my 28 years as a member of the LDS church with wonderful visiting teaching experiences. I went on my mission with one of my visiting teachers. (We were companions in the missionary training center and we served together in British Columbia for a brief time.) That was around 25-26 years ago. We still keep each other updated through Christmas cards. My friend Charlotte and I have remained good friends through the years, even though it has been around 12 years since I was her visiting teacher in Indiana. Several years ago Charlotte and I spent a few days together at a fantastic resort in Mexico and a few years ago we ate lunch together in Salt Lake after attending a session of General Conference. Long ago I visit taught my friend Julie who lives in Arizona. She and I are great buddies to this day.
Down in Florida, I loved to go visiting teaching because it was "our escape". My companion and I had to drive along miles of ocean highway to get to the people we visited. (What a "hardship" eh?) It took 20-30 minutes to get to Barefoot Bay where our sisters lived. There were native Floridian sisters who wouldn't go down to Barefoot Bay because "it was too far to travel". I may just drive all the way from Michigan to visit those sisters again some day!
Here in Michigan I was given a new companion who is 70 years old and who lives in downtown Grand Rapids. I was told that some sisters don't want to go downtown to do visiting teaching. Her home is in a neighborhood in which many homes are designated "historic". It has lots of character. I had to control myself the other day when I went to meet her for the first time, the urge to wander through her house was soooo strong. I had to settle for some delightful "peeks". We went to see one of our sisters, who lives the next street over. This sister told us how she and her neighbors helped the police bust a drug ring in the house next door to hers. They found the beginnings of a meth lab in the basement. I was "wowed". I'm not too worried about this gal, though. She lives in a neighborhood that has a WEEKLY dinner get-together for all in the hood. They also do community food gardening. (I'm impressed--and a tiny bit envious?)
My companion and I went to another house to see if we might catch the sister at home. No one answered our knock. Quite frankly, we both felt uncomfortable at this house. We are now in the process of making sure that it is known for sure that she lives there, and that it is a safe place to be. One adventure I DON'T want to have is a police raid busting up my visiting teaching appointment. . . they can be hard enough to re-schedule . . . .
To be continued . . . .
MORMON LINGO GOT YOU LOST?:
Visiting teaching--program in the LDS church in which the women visit one another on a monthly basis to check on each other's well being, share uplifting thoughts, etc.
Missionary training center--training facility in Provo, Utah where I prepared to serve my mission in April of 1982.
General Conference--twice a year meeting of Church leaders and members in Salt Lake City, Utah. Four 2-hour sessions take place on a Saturday and Sunday in April and in October and are broadcasted via satellite worldwide. All members are encouraged to participate in this conference. New leaders are put in place in these meetings when the need arises and the talks given by leaders provide the members direction and help them to better live the teachings of Jesus Christ.
Companion--a person (another lady) that goes with you on the visits.
Why am I calling people "sister"? Mormon women aren't nuns are they? No, indeed-ee. (We aren't nuns.) We sometimes call fellow church members "brother" or "sister" because we all have the same Heavenly Father. It is kind of like calling your uncle, "Uncle John", a way of showing respect.
No comments:
Post a Comment